Saturday, July 3, 2010

Greek Loaf - Black Olive, Feta and Sundried Tomato Loaf

So, imagine a zucchini loaf, but savoury. I was looking for European ideas for picnics, and I came across these savoury loaves and at first I wasn't so much attracted to them. I kept seeing them on picnic Web-sites from France that I thought I'd give them a go. Today, Ben organized a b-day picnic for me, so I took advantage of it to try some food out on the crowd. This was a winner! I fudged the original recipe, but I think that was a good thing. Here's my version, which I've converted from Metric for the sake of clarity.

generous 3/4 cups (14 Tbsps.) flour 
2 generous tsps. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
5 Tbsp. oil from sundried tomato jar
1 3/4 oz. pitted kalamata olives
2 oz. sundried tomatoes in oil
100 g feta
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped fine

  1. Heat oven to 350F
  2. Chop tomatoes and feta into smallish chunks.
  3. Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl.
  4. Create a well and add eggs, milk and oil. Mix until combined.
  5. Add basil, tomatoes, olives and feta and combine until evenly distributed.
  6. Pour into bread pan and cook 35 minutes. Allow to cool in pan before removing.

No comments:

Post a Comment