Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pique Nique ideas

Today I went to my second Check In meeting with Emotus Operandi to help me focus and organise my picnic business. It's awesome! I got some really good ideas, lots of confirmation (the group was really enthusiastic about what I'd accomplished and planned to do). I wasn't sure how to proceed, and got some really good feedback. So, for this summer, I've committed to giving 10 picnics to friends (and family if any come to visit). For the next Check In meeting, I've committed to come up with one sample menu (which doesn't need to be perfect), and start sourcing the actual picnic containers.
I've already established that I was going to start with three types of picnics:
1 - the Romantic
2 - the Cyclist
3 - the Bocce Game

The Romantic is a no-brainer: a picnic for 2, beautiful and elegant and sensual.

The Cyclist is ideal for Vancouver, with all the bike rental places for people who want to use the bike paths around the sea wall. I was thinking of using bike bags that fit onto modern bike racks, and the necessary containers to fit in them, and filling them with food. I just need to visit the bike rental shops to see what kinds of racks they have on their bikes to purchase the correct bags. All the customer needs is to attach the bag to the bike, and go.

The Bocce Game is for groups, sunny afternoons on the lawn, in the park, etc. It can be for families as well as for small parties. The basket and accoutrements would be similar to The Romantic, but not as refined.

When I was asked when I was going to start, my reply was 'next summer' and there was an outburst of 'why wait'? I'll tell you why! There are behind-the-scenes logistics that feel like a big deal, like food permits (health department) and licensing (vendor, alcohol?). Those are the biggies. And there's also the matter of what form this should start with - in association with other businesses, like Township 7 and bike shops etc, or out of my own location.

One of the interesting and encouraging things was Craig at the Check In who does the Under the Piano stuff, suggested that there could be a partnership between us - he is discovering that his clients are leaning towards couples' sessions, and they may like a romantic picnic afterwards. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment