Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Trouble with Naming - Beef Dip

I have this guilty pleasure - I love Beef Dip sandwiches, otherwise known as French Dip. I was a vegetarian for almost a decade. I decided to stop not because of a lack of will power, but because my body seemed to crave the ready and abundant protein of meat. I remember, at family gatherings when I was visiting my parents, I'd bring something down to the second refrigerator in the basement and there would be the left overs of the big family dinner from the night before. One little taste, I'd say, that's all, and then I'd loose self-control and eat by the fistful! Although I now eat meat, and try to eat organic, in the back of my mind I feel this twinge.
There, now that's off my chest, I want to talk about beef. Here's a recipe for pot roast for making Beef Dip. I prefer to call them Beef Dip since they are not French at all - the recipe comes from Los Angeles and the only thing French about it is the baguette!

3 1/2-4 lbs. boneless chuck roast
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 beef broth
1 bay leaf
3-4 peppercorns
1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 - 2 cloves garlic, whole and slightly crushed
Baguette bread
  1. Place roast in a pot only slightly larger than itself. Pre-heat oven to 325F.
  2. Combine soy sauce and next 6 ingredients.
  3. Pour over roast.
  4. Add broth until roast is almost covered. Bring to a boil.
  5. Put pot in oven, covered, for 3-4 hours or until very tender (internal temp should be 170F+).
  6. Remove roast, reserving broth.
  7. Shred the roast with a fork and serve in baguette sandwiches with the broth on the side for dipping.



No comments:

Post a Comment