Thursday, May 27, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect

My usual modus operandi is to try new recipes and stockpile the ones I like. Recently, I've been cherishing a few, and slowly building a relationship to them, documenting my discoveries. Tonight I finally made Tarragon Chicken properly, and it feels great! I will continue to explore recipes, but it's also important, like with a garden or with a work of art, to develop a relationship with your creation. Since food is something that is, by its very nature an ephemeral creation, I can build a relationship to it by making it often instead of relying on luck.


Jan 2015
My understanding and confidence in the kitchen has grown a lot. I now use what I think of as a Post Modern system where I Frankenstein different versions of the same recipe into what I think is a reasonable composition, then test it on The Experimental Mouffette, where I elaborate on my system. It's a more focused and outcome-based approach to building a relationship with a recipe, and one that is proving to be most useful in recording my own versions of dishes. It also means that I have been going back to previously posted recipes and re-adjusting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment