Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lemon Cream Pie


The universe has conspired to force me to write about Laura Calder's Lemon Tart. I've made it a few times now and it just seems to be improving every time. The recipe's been sitting on my computer for days, but I always had other things to write about. My experience today was a clear sign from the Divine Heavenly Chef that good things need to be recognised.
This morning, when I left to go to work, there was some left over from the night before. Throughout the day I'd think about having a piece when I got home as a snack, with some of the strawberry cream I'd made to go along with it. Waiting for me, on the kitchen counter, was the empty pie plate and some crumbs and a dirty fork. My husband Ben had decided to snack on the same delicacy I'd been day-dreaming about all day! Below is the recipe. I haven't changed a thing because it's perfect as it is, although, like Laura, I like my lemon tarts, well, tart. Add more sugar if you prefer yours sweet.
Now, I call this a pie because I bake it in a pie dish (which has sloped sides). You can choose to bake it in a tart dish (straight or square sides), but I don't recommend you bake it as a galette (dough folded over the edge of the filling and baked on a cookie sheet) since the custard is likely too liquid to hold the shape.

1 recipe for Cookie pie crust, blind baked
2 whole eggs
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar, more to taste
3/4 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
  1. Heat the oven to 325ºF. Beat together the eggs, yolks, and sugar in a bowl. Add the lemon juice.
  2. Whisk in the cream.
  3. Strain into the shell.
  4. Skim off any surface foam, and pop any bubbles.
  5. Bake until just set, about 30 minutes or until the center sets. Let cool before serving.

NOTE: The first time I made this was for Valentine's day, and I cut the pie with heart-shaped cookie cutters. It was very pretty, but I hadn't thought it out - the cookie cutters are old tin ones (very wabi sabi) and reacted with the lemon in the tart to give it a metallic taste. The moral is that it is a good idea to use the tart to cut out cute shapes, but make sure that the cookie cutters are made of non-reactive material.

No comments:

Post a Comment