Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Le Bistro Paul Bert

I've never been to Paris and yet everything I hear about French bistros appeal to me. In Québec, restaurants often have a Table d'hôte, a meal deal of two or more dishes for a set price. I really like this idea for reasons of pleasure and economy (I think). For an affordable price you can get an appetizer, a main dish, and a dessert (or any permutation of the above). As the restauranteur, you can serve smaller portions of each dish, offer something different (in Vancouver, I think) and have fun pairing and making food to feed people. And, in terms of building a whole sensual experience, which, according to some theories, helps one feel satisfied with less food and therefore lose weight, well, it seems like a perfect plan.
I've started searching for examples of authentic Parisian bistro menus. My first hit proved very positive with the idea of the Table d'hôte, or, as they seemingly call it in Paris, a formule menu. It is a foodie blog which describes a meal at Le Bistro Paul Bert with foods I would not necessarily consider for La Mouffette Gourmande, but is interesting and gives ideas, like terrines as a side or as an appetizer, and fresh bread, which I'd like to be Miracle Boule.

EXPERIMENTATION: I wonder if the flour of a Miracle Boule could be washed off for a less messy bread to serve? Perhaps a quick wash right out of the oven so that the heat from the bread helps to evaporate the water, and then throw it back in the oven to crisp things up a bit?

No comments:

Post a Comment