Sunday, February 6, 2011

Home made chocolate cake store bought mix

What I like most about experimenting with food is trying recipes that seem insane but turn out really well. I discovered this chocolate cake recipe on what used to be Recipezaar.com but is now called Food.com. When I first made it, the batter which is very runny made me nervous. But it turned out wonderfully moist and rich, and is terribly simple to make. In fact, it reminds me so much of those instant cake mixes we used when I was a child, although the flavor is infinitely better. Definitely not a low-cal dessert, especially with the frosting I recommend. The original has been altered since I prefer a little less sweet with my chocolate and I love the taste of vanilla. I think it's the perfect classic home-made chocolate cake for birthdays.
NOTE: I use dutch process or de-bittered cocoa powder for this recipe. The flavor is smoother and more pleasant.

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3⁄4 cup unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder (sift after measuring to remove any small lumps)
2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
2 large eggs
2 Tbsps vanilla
1 cup strong coffee, cooled
1 cup cream (any liquid will do but I like the richness)
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsps white vinegar
  1. Set oven to 350°F.
  2. Generously grease two 8 inch cake rounds. The batter does tend to stick, so you may elect to cut out some parchment paper circles to lay at the bottom of your pan (grease the pan first, lay the parchment paper over the surface and press to make it stick - this will prevent batter from leaking under the parchment paper. Then grease the surface of the parchment paper).
  3. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour with sugar, sifted cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
  4. Add in eggs, cooled coffee, vanilla, cream oil and vinegar; mix until blended and smooth. Remember, the batter will be thin. Ta-da, all in one bowl!
  5. Pour into prepared baking pan.
  6. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
  7. Cool completely before frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment