Sunday, November 21, 2010

Isabelle's soupe - Wild Mushroom and Hazelnut Soup

My niece has asked me to show her how to cook. What an incredible honor and compliment to have been asked by her! Although I haven't been such a great teacher, 'cause I want to do everything. Last week I decided I'd find a recipe for her to try on her own (mostly on her own... at least partly on her own... ok, she did a lot under my guidance and with lots of help from me!) and I think she was really proud of the results, and with reason; bien fait, Isabelle! Thanks to my colleague Carole from giving me the recipe. (omit butter to make is suitable for vegans)

2 Tbsps (28gr) butter
2 Tbsps mild vegetable oil
1/2 lb button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 lb assorted wild mushrooms
1 cup diced leek
3/4 cup diced parsnip
1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, crushed
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
2 garlic cloves
4 cups chicken broth (veg for vegetarian)
3/4 tsp salt, to taste
Pepper
optional 1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
  1. Melt 1 tbsp butter with 1 tbsp oil in a large pot over high heat (a large pot to have the surface for the liquid from the mushrooms to evaporate quickly and leave the earthy richness of the mushroom behind). Stir mushroom occasionally and cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
  2. Return pot to heat and melt remaining butter and oil. Add leek, parsnip, hazelnuts, thyme and cook a few minutes before adding garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until veg are tender, another couple of minutes, then add mushrooms and stock. Bring to a boil reduce heat, and simmer about 10 minutes, covered.
  3. Garnish with parsley and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment