Monday, October 11, 2010

Traditions start somewhere - Tarte à la Citrouille a Papa

I just called home to ask my dad for his special pumpkin pie recipe. I always thought it was a recipe passed on from one generation to the next. My dad was in the bathroom and my sister's family was there with their little dog and so it was my mom who gave me the recipe after I'd had the chance to say 'hi' and chat a bit with the others. My mom said she was tired and she'd read the recipe out to me in English - whoa, wait a minute, why is it in English? I asked. Apparently it isn't an ancient family recipe, it's something my mom found in a magazine or on the back of a tin label that my dad started to make because he'd use pumpkins from the garden (like many straight men of his generation, there were only certain things a man could do in the kitchen and retain his manliness - barbeque being one of them). The original recipe is apparently called "Magic Pumpkin Pie", but to me, it will always be:


1 blind baked pie shell (crust recipe)
2 cups pumpkin, mashed (to roast a pumpkin, 350F oven, cut in half, scoop out middle, oil cut edges, cut edges down bake for 50 minutes or until a knife easily pierces the skin. Cool, scoop out flesh, mash or puree in a blender)
1 1/3 cups eagle brand sweetened condensed milk *(1)
1 egg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 375F.
  2. Blind bake pie the crust for 10 minutes.
  3. Blend all the ingredients together in a bowl, then pour into the pie shell.
  4. Bake for 50-55 minutes.
  5. Cool, and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
*(1) (I am testing out a recipe to make my own sweetened condensed milk)

No comments:

Post a Comment