Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blue Cheese and Fennel Quiche

I have my standard quiche recipe which more or less (less or more) follows the instructions I've mentioned in my earlier post for quick and easy quiches. I use a mild blue cheese called Bleu Claire from a local cheese maker - my niece came for dinner and she thought she didn't like blue cheese, so I made half the quiche with Gruyere, but slipped in a sliver with blue, and she liked it. I agree that some blues have an overpowering flavour - unlike aficionados, I don't like the feeling of the cheese mould entering my sinuses from the blue. But the Bleu Clair has the flavour of blue cheese without the aggressiveness of the stronger types, perfect for blue-virgins and sensitives like myself.

1 pre-baked pie shell
2 Tbsps (1oz/28gr) butter
1 lb fennel, finely chopped
8 oz crumbled blue cheese or grated Gruyère
Optional: handful of toasted walnuts
5 eggs (3 eggs and 2 egg yolks)
1 cup cream or crème fraîche
salt and pepper to season
  1. Melt the butter and sautée the fennel until it starts to brown and is soft. The fennel will not cook while the custard is baking, which means it has to be thoroughly cooked in the pan.
  2. Meanwhile, mix the eggs and cream together and season the mixture with salt and pepper.
  3. Layer the fennel at the bottom of the baked pie crust, then layer with the cheese of your choice (and toasted walnuts if using).
  4. Pour egg mixture over the filling. Bake the pie at 375°F for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is set.

No comments:

Post a Comment